Astra is a free WordPress theme available in the WordPress theme directory. After installing the Astra WordPress theme, it is important to upload child theme for the Astra theme. Using a child theme will help you easily make CSS and PHP changes and keeping those changes even when parent Astra theme is updated.
Generate a Child theme for Astra
1. Click here to open the online Astra child theme generator tool.
2. Type name you want to assign to the child theme. For example, if you are making a website for “Prime Finance” – then you can add “Prime Finance”.
3. For more customizations, click on “Advanced Options” button. Then add other information depending on the requirement like author name, author URL, folder name (like prime-finance).
4. Another important aspect of the child theme is the screenshot that would appear in the WordPress dashboard for the child theme. Create an image of 1200X900 size and upload it.
5. Click Generate and download the child theme zip file.
6. Now, open WordPress dashboard and then go to Appearance > Themes and upload this theme zip file. Then activate this child theme and start customizing as per requirement.
Video: Creating child theme for Astra theme
Learn more about Astra WordPress Theme
Building with Astra Theme course covers all aspects (almost) of using Astra WordPress Theme for building amazing websites.